Standard 6 describes the value in knowledge for our educators. Educators must demonstrate that they have a deeper understanding and knowledge of the content they are presenting to their students. Educators must be thoroughly familiar with the BC curriculum and are constantly making sure that they are meeting certain targets and keeping students on the right track to be able to progress and improve in their learning journey. Teaching content from an Indigenous point of view may be very difficult, especially for a non-Indigenous person such as myself. This means understanding when to know what content you are not able to teach, despite potentially having knowledge of that content or traditional practices. As a sign of respect and responsibility as an educator, this would be the time to bring Indigenous voices into your classroom, local or otherwise, to be able to share that knowledge with your students. Additionally, always acknowledging that you are always learning and growing as an educator and that the learning never ends.

Throughout my Education experience, our program has been gradually getting more and more familiar with the BC curriculum. As someone originally from Ontario, this type of curriculum and content is completely new to me. There are many differences between Ontario and BC and how the school districts and systems work. Still, I always make sure to consult the curriculum, which is very accessible online, before I present anything that would be taught in school. Additionally, before practicum started I did a lot of studying the Kindergarten levels and what information they should be learning and what goals they should be reaching. Lesson plans that are made for formal lessons or any lessons presented in class always go through the recognised curriculum.

In terms of creating lessons, I did a lot of research on my topics being taught so I knew I was giving credible and correct information at all times. I also had to do a lot of work in phonics, as that is not something I’m familiar with as a daily routine. These are programs that I have to learn as well in order to be able to teach them to children who are only learning how to read and write.