In standard 4, there is focus on the involvement and collaboration with parents, guardians, and communities in student learning and development. Involving family and community in school is not only a way to bridge the gap between the two, it can create a more welcoming environment in the classroom, that feels more like home and less isolated. Often, students do not enjoy school because they view it as work, like a chore, that is completely separate from their home life where they can do more of their own hobbies, hang out with their friends and have fun. By bridging that gap slightly, you can bring some of that comfortability and excitement of home into the classroom. This can also help students feel seen and heard, by including personal and familiar aspects in school.

In my own experience in practicum, I struggled at first to see how I might be able to fulfill this standard as a student teacher; however, I was determined to try and become a part of this amazing school community I was placed in. On the first day I was teaching, I sent home a little newsletter in each students’ agenda that included a picture of me, a little write up about myself introducing their child’s student teacher for the three weeks, and some contact information if parents or guardians feel the need to ask any questions. I wanted there to be the option for open communication and comfortability.

Nukko Lake Elementary is a major bus school, so majority of kids were not picked up by their parents but rather would take the bus home. For those who were picked up everyday, I would make sure to be standing at the door in view so I became a familiar face in their child’s classroom that was approachable and open. Additionally, in my last week we went on a field trip to a local skating rink where students were able to skate. Many parents and guardians came to skate with their children, and some volunteered with the school to help out as well. This gave me the opportunity to meet with parents, chat with them and build those relationships as parent and teacher.